Tuesday, January 20, 2009

1.20.09

What a day!

I was awoken this morning by my adorable husband shaking me and saying, in a voice that allows me to imagine him as a little boy, "It's snowing!! Get up! Let's go look at it!" I love him. And snow. And the collective sigh of relief that comes with the thought, "Snow day." Sure enough, there was nearly an inch on the ground when I awoke and it kept gently falling until just after noon.

Of course, today is no ordinary snow day. Today's snow day allowed me to sit on the couch, snuggled warmly under my treasured hand-crocheted blanket, a huge pot of minestrone soup bubbling away on the stovetop, steaming cup of coffee in hand. Today's snow day allowed me to watch, without interruption, the forty-fourth peaceful passing of power from one leader to the next. To absorb a moment in history that I am sure to tell my grandchildren about. To listen to an articulation of change, sacrifice, and courage that resonated profoundly. To be inspired by my nation's leader for the first time in my life.

Today's snow day seemed to be an undeniable message from the universe: Stop. Look. Remember.

I love the snow.





No comments: